A magical sailing adventure from St Petersburg to Stockholm. A genuine classic
Experience the white nights of Russia's Baltic waters, the beauty of Finland's southern islands and the world famous Aaland Islands en route to StockholmJoin one of our most magical routes as we head west from Russia exploring the Finnish and Swedish archipelagos along the way. From the golden towers of St Petersburg to the Scandi-chic of Helsinki and Stockholm, this route has it all. There’s more land than sea on most of the charts as we weave our way through the intricate waterways of the Baltic’s northern coast. Throw in the remote Åland islands and miles of beautiful forested coastline along the way and the spell is cast for an incredible sailing adventure! NO PREVIOUS SAILING EXPERIENCE REQUIRED. FULL TUITION GIVEN
This is a typical itinerary. What makes an adventure holiday so special however is that there can be no fixed itinerary and no part of this is guaranteed. The wind and the weather ultimately shape what’s possible each day but everything is very flexible within that.
Day 1: Welcome to St Petersburg!
Join the yacht between 1200h and 1800h inSt Petersburg, Russia. Today is all about settling in, meeting the crew and finding your way around your home for the next two weeks – Starling, one of our beloved Clipper 60s. The white nights will just be ending, so soak up the evening sun and enjoy the start of this huge adventure.
Days 2 – 5: Haapasaari to Helsinki
After checking in at the frontier station on the tiny island of Haapasaari we spend a couple of days sailing between peaceful anchorages as we work our way towards Helsinki. Sailing through narrow passages between granite rocks and surrounded by pine forests is huge fun, and everyone will need to work closely together to keep a powerful 60’ yacht under control in these confined waters. By the end of it you’ll be more than comfortable helming in close quarters and trimming the sails at every change of course.
Day 6: Explore Helsinki
Like many Baltic capitals you can sail right into the heart of Helsinki, step off the boat and explore ashore. Famous for it’s architecture and design and with lots of open air markets Helsinki is wonderful place to unwind for a day.
Days 7 – 8: Southern Finland
By now everyone will have their eye in for navigating in the rocky waters of the “Skärgård”. The narrow sounds and smooth water make for exhilarating sailing conditions as we weave our way westwards. Our aim is the stunningly beautiful Åland islands but we also have the gorgeous islands of Älgö and Busö in the Ekenäs National Park or the town of Tammisaari with it’s traditional wooden houses to explore along the way.
Day 9-12 – The Aland Islands
Fiercely independent this extensive archipelago is Finnish owned but Swedish speaking. They have their own flag and whatever you do, don’t fly the Finnish one! Stretching almost all the way from Finland to Sweden it is a vast cruising ground with picturesque towns, crumbling fortresses, sandy beaches and is a real sailing mecca in the summer. After exploring the eastern region we’ll pull in to Mariehamn the capital. As usual in Finland the marinas here all have a sauna so don’t forget your birch branch!
Days 13 – 14: The Stockholm archipelago
From Mariehamn we’ll put all of our navigation into practise and make the short passage across to the Stockholm archipelago. The outer fringes are wild and remote, with secluded coves for swimming or BBQ-ing on the rocks. There are several choices of route, but most likely we’ll take the beautiful inner route between Stora Möja and Blidösund.
Day 15: Sailing into Stockholm
As approaches to capital cities go, they don’t get much better than this. Sailing in past wooded slopes towards the elegant pastel coloured buildings of Stockholm’s beautiful waterfront is truly magical. We’ll tie up in the Djurgarden, an island oasis and home to several parks and museums right in the heart of the city.
Day 16: Clean ups and goodbyes
After sharing photos, putting the boat back to how we found her and saying goodbyes to new friends the trip ends at midday. It’s always amazing how quickly the time goes, and how much learning and adventure can be packed into a two week sailing holiday.
JOINING & LEAVING THE BOAT
- You join the boat in St Petersburg after 1200hrs on the start day. It is good if you can join us as close to 1200 hrs as possible, but if your flight or ferry gets in later than this, that is fine. We will ask you closer to the time to let us know your travel details.
- You will disembark the boat in Stockholm, Sweden at 1200 hrs on the last day
- Fly in to St Petersburg Pulkovo International Airport (IATA Code: LED) This is well served by various airlines. You will need a visa. Please see our ‘Key Information’ box
- You will fly out of Stockholm (probably Arlanda Airport (IATA code: ARN)
AGE & EXPERIENCE
These adventure sailing holidays are open to everyone aged 18 years and over. If you are aged 70 or over, or have any concerns about your health, we ask that you get a doctor’s note before booking. This is just to make as certain as possible that you will be okay out on the water.
NO PREVIOUS SAILING EXPERIENCE IS REQUIRED
VISA FOR TRAVEL TO RUSSIA
Everyone will be required to have a visa for entry into Russia. This is usually very easily achieved. We will help you organise before the trip
CLOTHING & EQUIPMENT
We provide the foul weather clothing, life-jackets and all other technical equipment you will need. We really urge you not to spend any extra money unless you are sure you want to! You need to bring a sleeping bag and some waterproof boots.
We are committed to helping as many people as possible have an amazing sailing holiday and experience the magic of the sea. Our skippers and mates have medical training and the boats have some medical supplies and equipment on board. However, the reality is that once on board access to professional medical assistance is going to be slower than if you were on land. If we are offshore it may be some days. For this reason we ask you to check through the medical disclosure form below before you book. If you answer yes to any of the questions, you should get in touch with us before you book. It will probably still be fine but it’s good to make sure. You will be asked to submit the form electronically 14 days before the start date, ensuring that we have the most up to date information.
- It is essential that you have adequate travel insurance in place for your sailing holiday.
- We strongly recommend that you arrange insurance that covers you for any medical mishaps in the build up to your holiday so that should you have to cancel, you can reclaim you fees.
- Please note we cannot refund your money or cancel your invoice due to medial issues.
- For our latest guidance on travel insurance, please read here.
TRIP CATEGORY: ADVENTURE SAILING
Mostly day sailing, shorter mileage and more time to head ashore and explore.
INCLUDED IN YOUR SAILING HOLIDAY
- Top quality foul weather clothing to keep you dry in any conditions.
- Fladen immersion suits. These will keep you warm in even the coldest, windiest conditions.
- Ocean-spec lifejackets. These are the best on the market.
- All on-board food and snacks.
- Daily sailing lessons and tuition from two highly experienced instructors.
- RYA sailing qualifications where applicable.
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED
- Your travel to and from the start and end points.
- Travel insurance (see our travel insurance page here)
- Any alcohol – but feel free to bring your own or buy some along the route
- Any meals you eat ashore
Everything’s included except for flights, travel insurance, a sleeping bag and some waterproof boots. There are no hidden extras.
- These expeditions have small numbers of people on board. When you book, you are committing to being a part of the crew.
- These are genuine adventure sailing holidays and you will be helping sail the boat, planning where we go, navigating, cooking and keeping the boat clean and tidy.
- When you book, the deposit is non refundable. It is possible to cancel subsequently, however you may still be liable for the balance of the invoice, depending on how close you are to the start date when you cancel.
- Please ensure you have read and agreed to the T&Cs and read the Trip Notes before booking.