Travel insurance

The travel insurance you need and where to get it

Having the correct travel insurance is essential when joining a Rubicon 3 voyage. Whether it's protecting you against a twisted ankle just before you join us, a cancelled flight or the need to get medical care once you're abroad - the right insurance is a critical part of your preparations.


Are you from the UK / EU or further afield?

We ask this because it will have a big impact on what type of cover you can get. If you're from the UK / EU it's going to be cheap and simple. If not, it's still siple but it's not as cheap. Because there is a such a disparity in what is available we do not specify minimum cover levels.


What do I need?

You must have insurance that covers you for sailing on a yacht that is more than 12nm offshore. Be careful when buying your insurance as many companies advertise  'offshore sailing' but do not actually mean more than 12nm. You may come across the definition 'territorial waters'. Territorial waters end at 12nm, so you need insurance that goes outside territorial waters. Beyond that, just make sure it covers you for the region that your Voyage sails in.


It is compulsory to have insurance?

Absolutely. We will ask you for your insurance details prior to you joining. Bear in mind however that we cannot check that your insurance is adequate.


Where to get insurance

For those in the UK / EU there are various options. we do not recommend any particular provider or policy. You could look at the following providers:

Topsail Insurance

Bishop Skinner Insurance



For UK / EU residents, you should bring your EHIC card with you. This entitles you to greatly reduced or even free medical coverage in other EU countries. Find out more here.


If you are from outside the UK / EU you could look at the following provider:

Gowrie (email Rick Bagnall) - this currently seems to be the best option for many clients.


World Nomad


Need advice on which adventure is right for you?

Click here & we can help you choose

Join our mailing list

No smoking sign

We operate a strict no smoking policy

The smoking of any form of tobacco is forbidden on board or on the dock next to the boat. We also very strongly discourage the smoking of any tobacco at any time between the start and end date as the smell comes on-board into confined living space. The use of e-cigarettes is fine.

ABTOT Protection

WZ Limited, trading as Rubicon 3. Registered office is 179 Hunts Pond Road, Fareham, England, PO14 4PL, United Kingdom. Company number 086601873. VAT number 166844768. ABTOT Bond and Membership - number 5278. The Association of Bonded Travel Organisers Trust Limited (ABTOT) provides financial protection under the Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992 for WZ Limited, and in the event of their insolvency, protection is provided for the following:1. non-flight packages commencing in and returning to the UK; 2. non-flight packages commencing and returning to a country other than the UK; and 3. flight inclusive packages that commence outside of the UK, which are sold to customers outside of the UK.1, 2 and 3 provides for a refund in the event you have not yet travelled.  1 and 3 provides for repatriation.  Please note that bookings made outside the UK are only protected by ABTOT when purchased directly with WZ Limited.


This website uses cookies to help understand customer behaviour and how the website is being used. This is completely anonymous and no personal information is ever collected. By continuing to use this site you agree to the use of cookies. Click here to find out more

Working with Rubicon 3

If you are interested in working with Rubicon 3 please go to the recruitment page.


See the website Terms and Conditions here. See the website Privacy Policy here. See the website Disclaimer here.

ABTOT logo RYA traiinng centre logo
Travel insurance
No smoking sign
ABTOT logo RYA traiinng centre logo
Travel insurance
No smoking sign
ABTOT logo RYA traiinng centre logo